Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Golf Society

Childs Ercall Community Golf Society

Let me (Richard Crookes) take a moment to introduce you to the Childs Ercall Golf Society (I know, I know, what an original name).

Cast your minds back to 2020, the year when the world stood still, when we were confined to barracks, not allowed to breathe within half a mile of another being, and only allowed to leave the house for a maximum of 1 hour’s exercise. What better time to set up a golf society! That’s right folks, it came to me in a flash, I had an epiphany, why not get as many people together as possible, play in groups of 4 and spend a minimum of 4 hours on a golf course, what could possibly go wrong?

Now you could be forgiven for thinking the idea was destined to fail. COVID was causing havoc, if anyone was heard coughing, everyone nearby would run for the hills. BUT, don’t forget where we are, that’s right….Childs Ercall….There was no way we were going to let COVID get in the way. So, a couple of Facebook posts later and a few conversations over a 6 foot social distancing space and the society was born.

The hope for the first society day was that someone, anyone, would sign up. If we could get half a dozen people to turn up, then it would be a good starting point……..We took 18 players on that first day, and we haven’t looked back since. We now have 35 members, oh hang on, make that 36, I’ve just had another request to join whilst I’m typing this up, and normally have a turnout of around 20 every month.

So why would you want to join us? Simple, we don’t judge! We’re in it for the fun, we don’t care what your handicap is, we care about you coming out and having a laugh. We don’t pick a venue for the quality of the course, we pick it for the quality of the breakfast we have before we tee off, and the service in the bar afterwards. Yes we enjoy the golf, but we enjoy the company more. I can honestly say I have never laughed as much as I have on some of these golf days.

We tend to get together on the last Friday of the month and I try to book us on as many new courses as possible, within a reasonable distance. So if you think this could be for you, why not message me on the society Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/childsercallgolf/

You never know, you might even enjoy yourself!